Thursday, November 13, 2008

Happily Married

I love my husband. I can't imagine getting through some of the events of the last couple of years without him at my side. What I can imagine even less is how it would feel for people who've never even met me to step in and make it illegal for me to marry him, because he is from Guatemala. Or because he is Catholic and I'm Presbyterian.

I'm so lucky that the fact he was born with dark hair and brown eyes does not make it illegal for him to marry a blonde haired, blue eyed woman.

Even the fact that we waited until our son was 10 years old before we chose to enter the covenant of marriage was not held against us, by our church, our neighbors, or our government.

If we were to decide marriage was not for us, and thus get divorced, we would simply go through the process. Since neither of us is a celebrity, the only people who would even care would be our family. Certainly we would not be reviled by anybody for paying such disrespect to the institution of marriage.

It probably wouldn't occur to most people to try to pass a law preventing our divorce, and they certainly wouldn't spend a bunch of money campaigning to convince the rest of the neighborhood (city/county/state/country/world) that our marriage and/or divorce was in any way a threat to their own marriages.

Unfortunately, I have loved ones, friends, fellow Christians, and fellow Americans who can't say the same about the relationship they have with their chosen mate.

My friend Jake recently put it far more eloquently than I ever could. Whatever your current opinion of "Gay Marriage" (I add the quotes, because I never refer to mine as a "Heterosexual Marriage". When two become one, that's marriage, plain and simple), I encourage you to read what Jake has to say on the matter. (warning: some adult language; don't read this to your kids without editing!)


We have a black president-elect. That's a good start. Now if only we could find a way to keep from disenfranchising any other Americans just for being the people they were born to be.